Employers are looking for persons who not only have the necessary experience and skills, but also demonstrate self-confidence and a willingness to become a team player. These interview mistakes have
cost many people job opportunities - avoid them in order to secure your next job!
- Inability to express oneself clearly. Answered questions with "yes" or "no" but offered no explanation or further information.
- Lacking career direction - undefined short- and long-term goals.
- Came unprepared, i.e., had little or no knowledge of the company.
- Arrived late and claimed that the directions given were wrong.
- Poor personal appearance; dressed too casually or sloppily.
- Poor hygiene.
- Brought a friend/parent/child/pet along.
- Did not ask questions about the job.
- Too interested in salary, vacation and benefits.
- Evasiveness; unwilling to account for time when unemployed.
- Detailed health problems at length.
- Lacked confidence; displayed nervous mannerisms.
- Demonstrated overaggressive, overbearing, or conceited behavior.
- Presented a sloppy or inaccurate résumé.
- Forgot to bring extra copies of the résumé and could not provide any references.
- Lacked courtesy, maturity or tact.
- Displayed indifference or lack of enthusiasm.
- Criticized previous employers.
- Had no appreciation for the value of experience.
- Did not look the interviewer in the eye.